Greetings, New Mexico ballroom and Latin dancers!
Greetings, New Mexico ballroom and Latin dancers!
Whether you love to glide across the ballroom floor to a lyrical waltz, or shake your hips to a cha cha groove, you'll find a home at USA Dance of North Central New Mexico.
Founded as a nonprofit organization in 2006, we are celebrating our second decade of bringing New Mexicans together for the pleasures of social dancing. At our monthly dances, our members and visitors range from college students to Super Seniors, and from beginners to dancesport competitors.
We are the local chapter of USA Dance, a national organization dedicated to ballroom dancing.
Please join us on January 19th - first party of the new year!
We host dances once a month on 3rd Sundays of the month at the Albuquerque Square Dance Center, 4915 Hawkins Street NE in Albuquerque — home of one of New Mexico's biggest and best wooden dance floors. Take I-25 to the Ellison/San Antonio exit, head west on Ellison a short distance, then turn right on Hawkins. Plenty of parking is available. Click here for a map to the center.
2020 vision. Please note, the new year brings a new schedule for USA Dance parties. Starting in January, we will go from two dances a month to one, on the 3rd Sunday of the month. We are discontinuing the 1st Sunday dances.
The next dance on Jan. 19 will be at the previous 6 – 9 p.m. time. the dance lesson will be Waltz taught by Cristel Pike from 6:15 to 7:00 pm.
In February we will shift to Sunday afternoons from 2:30 – 5:30 p.m. We believe the new schedule will be more convenient for more dancers, many of whom have to go to work on Monday morning or prefer not to drive at night.
Our DJs put together a wide-ranging blend of music that typically includes the following styles at every dance:
- Ballroom: Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep, and Viennese Waltz
- Rhythm and Latin: Rumba, Cha Cha, East Coast (3x) Swing, Bolero, Mambo/Salsa, Samba, and Jive (1x swing)
- Club: West Coast Swing, Hustle, and Nightclub Two Step
- We also play the occasional Argentine Tango, Country Two Step, Merengue, and Paso Doble.
Our focus is on the dancing, but just about every dance also features something special:
Our dances include a 45 minute lesson, taught by local professional dance instructors and geared toward beginning and intermediate dancers.
Occasionally we also feature performances or demonstrations by professional dancers, our own amateur couples and competitors, formation teams and others. Performances typically start about midway through the party and are well worth seeing!
We also offer free "beginner beginner" lessons at the beginning of the party, taught by chapter volunteers. We teach a different dance every month. As the name suggests, these are for anyone who is brand new to dancing. All are welcome, and visitors can practice what they learned at the main dance immediately afterwards.
We also host occasional live music, fun contests, banquets and other special events.
We average around 80 people at every dance, so you are sure to find partners of every ability level. We always include at least one "mixer dance" where you get to change partners and dance with many different people.
Stay in touch
As you can see, we have a lot going on. Here's how you can stay informed:
- Sign up for our email list, and we'll keep you posted on all upcoming dances and other special events.
- Check out our calendar page for up-to-date information.
- Visit our Facebook page.
- Send us an email with questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you on the dance floor!
- USA Dance members: $7
- College students and Super Seniors (80+ years): $2
- Visitors (non-members): $10
- Youths (18 years and under): Free, if accompanied by a parent or guardian
Become a USA Dance member
USA Dance of North Central New Mexico is a chapter of USA Dance, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve the quantity and quality of ballroom dancing in the United States.
Becoming a USA Dance member is a real bargain! For a $35 annual membership fee as a social dancer, you receive more than $100 in estimated savings, plus special discounts, plus a whole year of discounted dancing fun!* Please note that you will be joining a NATIONAL organization. Our local chapter does not charge dues.
Here are some of the benefits our members receive:
Discounted admission prices for our regular social dances. We also offer complimentary admission for your first party after you join or renew your membership.
Discounts from local dance studios and instructors for classes, lessons, and parties. Most area studios and instructors offer these discounts. Be sure to ask when you sign up for these events.
Discounts on dancewear and dance shoes from these local stores, with your current USA Dance membership card:
- Expressions — Women's apparel, shoes, and accessories at Cottonwood Mall
- New Mexico Dancewear — Dancewear, shoes, and accessories at a 20 percent discount
Your membership also entitles you to:
- Discounts on products and services through Affinity Market Group, including hotel/motel discounts from 10-25 percent; auto rental discounts from 20-25 percent; office supplies discounts of up to 80 percent on preferred products; and prescription drug discounts of up to 55 percent.
- Member discounts at more than 150 USA Dance chapters across the country. Just think — you can go dancing when you travel! We have sister chapters from Hawaii to Vermont, and from Washington to Florida.
Go here for details of the USA Dance Membership Benefits Program and start saving!
*The fine print: Discounts are subject to change without notice. Values are estimates.